Wednesday, April 22, 2009

What to say?

I want a job.  I did get an official rejection letter from one school I applied to (although, sour grapes aside, I came to the conclusion yesterday after subbing there that it is indeed the kids who are running the school, it wasn't just that I was a sub.  The teachers tell me "that's just the way it is."  NO THANK YOU!).  

The other job I applied to is the one I had applied to for the full time sub half way through the year and did not get (the one where I should have known I wasn't going to get it when the Assistant Principal/Athletic Director told me he hadn't read my resume and yawned during the interview!).  Interestingly enough, they were very keen to point out during that interview, that it was only for the remainder of the year and couldn't guarantee that an internal candidate wasn't going to take it for next year.  I saw that the person they were hiring turned in his letter of resignation immediately upon hiring.  

This is the job that the Principal went out of his way to tell me in February he thought it was going to be open for next year and to watch for the posting.  And I did with excitement.  Then I applied.  And it's been forever and I have not heard!

I took a 2 week sub job for a small Catholic middle school and was telling the principal that I had applied for this job.  And she told me then to not take it personally, but they were probably going to hire the social studies teacher from the Catholic middle school in that town, because he was the Basketball coach there.  And putting two and two together, I bet he's buds with the Assistant Principal/Athletic Director.  And I bet this has been in the works from the start.  SIGH!  To be fair, I hear he is an excellent teacher, and it does make sense, but come on, I feel like I was played.

So, if they would ever send me a rejection e-mail, like they did last time, I would know what's going on.  But I need to move ahead, so I've been thinking of my next move.  I will be sending a resume and cover letter to the Catholic middle school that the teacher might be leaving.  The principal there knows me and has observed me subbing there, and the principal at the 2 week job put in a good word for me to her.  

I also want to speak to the principal at the nearby Catholic high school.  I haven't heard of any openings, but I want to let him know I'm interested if anything comes up.  I've never subbed there before and I haven't met the guy.  

So I feel like an idiot, because I don't know what to say.  "Hi!  You don't know me, but I would like to teach at your school.  Do you know if any of your Social Studies teachers are leaving, bit the dust, or just generally suck and you want to replace them?"  I'm so shy and bumbling when it comes to this.  

I'm going to give it a go when I get home this afternoon, if the stars align and my children are quiet, and my heart doesn't give out from adrenaline.  Wish me luck.

1 comment:

trinity_ray said...

what do you have to lose?
what do you have to gain?
set up an appointment with the principal.